What Other Say: User
Unfortunately, I must say that dealing with this roofing company was one of the most time-consuming and frustrating experiences of my life. In order to prepare our townhouse for selling, we decided a new roof would be needed, as the old one was on its last leg. We selected McKeithen and Sons for the job. They came out and did the whole process while I was at work one day, so I was not home to keep an eye on things, which appears to have been a rookie mistake. This was in late March.
When I returned home from work that evening and took a look at the roof, I initially thought they hadn't come at all. It looked as discolored and dingy as the old one. I hoped that it would look better in full daylight, but I was wrong. When I went out to take a look the next day, I found proof that they definitely had been out - pieces of shingles and nails all over our tiny front yard. The roof still had pieces of plastic stuck under some of the shingles, just flapping in the wind. The shingles were wavy on the surface, it looked like the decking was uneven (according to multiple sources). The shingles were also not cut to a proper length for the front of the home, and jutted out on the sides of the overhang. Another surprise was found inside, where they had punched a hole straight through the ceiling, in one of the upstairs bedrooms.
I spent the next week and a half trying to get someone out to look at the issues. My concerns with the outside were dismissed, they said it would lay flat after a few hot days. I'm sorry, but this is FLORIDA, every day is hot! (And two months later, well into May with quite a few 90+ degree days, it never did lay flat.)
In the midst of all this, the house went under contract, and we had to endure all of the inspections associated with it. The general inspector found several issues that needed to be fixed before closing. I sent the inspection report to the roofers hoping it would serve as proof of my complaints. Spent weeks trying to get a response from them, calling 2-3 times per week. They kept saying they would call me back, but they never once did. Then, one day when I called, they miraculously claimed the repairs had been made that day. There was no discernible difference, I still don't know what exactly they "fixed." When the Wood Destroying Organisms inspection came around, even more issues were found, rotted boards still in the attic, water stains on what appeared to be new decking. A few more weeks of calling every other day, then multiple times per day as we started getting closer and closer to closing (they never remembered who I was or what problems I was referring to). Eventually, I at least got the items we needed to fulfill the contract, two full months later, and two days before closing… Talk about cutting it close.