Description: A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE
It was in 1943, on the suggestion of Sri. V. Raghunadha Reddy,
the then Chairman of TTD Trust Board, the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams committee resolved to start a first grade degree college at Tirupati to cater to the academic needs of a vast number of students belonging to the Rayalaseema Districts. A Committee constituted by the Government of composite Madras State and headed by Sri V. Lakshmana Swamy Mudaliar, the then vice-Chancellor of Madras University strongly favoured this move.
Thus came into existence in 1945, Sri Venkateswara Arts College for Men (Popularly Known as S. V. Arts College) housed in the old Gosala, with a modest strength of 80 students in Intermediate and B.A courses with History, Logic, Telugu, English, Hindi, Sanskrit, Tamil, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as optional subjects. An eminent academician and administrator, Prof. K. Rami Reddy was the founder Principal. Pushpathota Hostel started functioning in 1948 sheltering around 200 students from outside Tirupati.
A new building was constructed in a sprawling campus of 1500 acres and the college shifted to its new premises in 1951 where B.Com and B. Sc degree courses were introduced in the same year. Consequent to the inception of Sri Venkateswara University in 1954, the magnificent building with all the infrastructure was magnanimously handed over by the TTD management to the University. The college shifted back to its old Gosala building. NCC was started in 1953 with Sri. Raghavendra Rao, the then Lecturer in Philosophy, as its Officer in-charge.
Sri P. R. Krishnaswamy (1950–52), Sri S. Palaniswamy (1952–54) and Sri N. Rama Rao (1954–58) were the successive Principals during the first decade (1945–55).
In the second decade (1955 – 65), the TTD management constructed another new building for the college in Kapilatheertham Road and had to sacrifice it, this time to the Government for establishing a Polytechnic to cater to the needs of Rayalaseema students aspiring for technical excellence. The two year Intermediate course was replaced by the one year Pre-University course in 1957 – 58 and one year Pre-Professional course was introduced during 1962 – 64 for the benefit of the students of M.B.B.S, B. V. Sc and
B. Sc (Ag.). B. Sc courses with Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry, Chemistry, Botany & Zoology and Chemistry, Physics & Zoology as combinations were introduced in 1964. Sri P. V. Seshagiri Rao (1955–57), Sri S.Nagaiah (1957–59, 61 – 62,63 – 70) and Sri B. Raghava Baliga (1959 – 60) were the heads of the Institution during this period.
The third decade (1965 – 75) saw the introduction of Evening Courses in BA and B.Com in 1966 and the Intermediate in 1972. The college shifted to its present premises, a magnificent and imposing building, in 1967 with a new hostel right behind the college. Silver Jubilee of the college was celebrated in 1970. Prof. B. Ramasubba Reddy took charge as Principal in September 1970 and served in that capacity till June 1987, the longest period any Principal served this prestigious temple of education. He was also elected member of the Syndicate of S. V. University during that period.
The fourth decade (1975 – 85) was a memorable one to all the qualified Demonstrators / Tutors as the UGC abolished that cadre and made way for their promotion as Lecturers w.e.f. 01 – 04 – 1976. Also during these period many Lecturers pursued their research activities leading to M.Phil and Ph. D degrees under the Faculty Improvement Programme sponsored by UGC. It is for the first time in the history of TTD Degree colleges that one of their faculties Sri B. Ramasubba Reddy, Principal of the college was adjudged as the Best Teacher by A P Government for the Year 1983.
A study centre of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Open University (then A. P. Open University) was started on the campus in 1983, which has now become a Regional Coordination Centre, very ably and efficiently headed by Prof. K. Venkata Narayana Raju, the Joint Director.
The fifth decade (1985–95) in tune with the changing trends saw the introduction of restructured combinations in B. Sc course involving Computer Science, Electronics and Dairy Science. A channel was provided for the promotion of Junior Lecturers from TTD Junior Colleges as Lecturers in TTD Degree Colleges. A separate spacious library building was constructed during this period. Prof. K. Appaswami Pillai (1987–92) and Prof. G. Satyanarayana Rao (1992–95) were the Principals during this period.
Dr. K Appaswami Pillai (1989), Dr. G Satyanarayana Rao (1990),
Dr. T Raghavan (1991) and Dr. S Vedavathi (1992) were the AP Govt. Best Teacher Awardees. The college hosted All India Interuniversity Ball Badminton Tournament in 1992-93. Under UGC guidelines the college arranged Refresher Courses in History, Physics and Political Science to the Degree College Lecturers. Major E Lokama Naidu, S G Lecturer in Commerce was adjudged as the best NCC Officer and he received Merit award from the President of India at Rastrapathi Bhavan in 1992.
The Sixth decade (1995 – 2005) saw a succession of Principals. Prof.D.Balakrishna Rao (1995 – 97), Sri N. V. Nagarajan (1997 – 99),
Dr. D. Chengal Raju (1999), P. Jayarama Naidu (1999), Dr. S. Sivaiah (1999, 2001–03), Dr.V.Subramanyam (1999 – 2000), Dr. J. Subramanyam (2000 – 2001), Dr. K. Rama Rao(2003), Dr. K. Chengaiah Chetty (from August 2003 to September 2005) and Dr. G Somasundaram (from October 2005 Onwards).
Golden Jubilee of the College was celebrated on a spectacular scale during this period. A spacious seminar hall was constructed and B.Com (Computer Applications) and a new combination in B.A involving Computer Applications as one of the optional subjects were introduced in this period.
During this period the college hosted All India Interuniversity Chess Tournament (1996-97) and All India Interuniversity Hockey Tournament (1998-99), in addition to hosting intercollegiate tournaments frequently. Several faculty members Dr. M Bhaskara Naidu (1995), Dr. N Veeraiah (1996), Dr. S Jawad Hussain(1996), Dr. V Subramanyam (2001),
Dr. B Neelakanta Reddy (2002), Dr. K V Chalapathi (2003), Dr. N Satyanarayana Raju (2004) and Dr. G Somasundaram (2005) were honored as Best Teachers by AP Government. Two Two-Day National seminars in Commerce, Dynamic Entrepreneurship in India (1999) and Value Added Tax – Opportunities and Challenges (2004) and a Two-Day National Seminar in Chemistry, National Seminar on Role of Chemistry in Drug Development Strategies (2005), were held.
In this decade quite a large number of NCC Cadets participated in Republic Day Celebrations in New Delhi. Mr. N Hari Prasad II B.Sc, Mr. C Naveen II B.Sc, Mr. B Maheswara Reddy II B.Sc and Mr. B Kumar II B.Sc have been selected for pre Republic day celebrations 2006 at New Delhi. Mr. N Hari Prasad II B.Sc has been adjudged for Best Turnout and Smartness at Secunderabad in Pre RD Camp in Oct 2005 and awarded Chief Minister’s Medal. A NSS Volunteer Vanadeep of Second B.Sc (2004) participated in Youth Parliament at New Delhi.
This prestigious temple of education, which has blazed a glorious trail is heading for its Diamond Jubilee and is aspiring for a creditable rating by NAAC.
The college has a vision and a meticulous plan for furthering its enviable academic standards with introduction of new courses and curriculum for the next decade in tune with the growing and changing needs of the student community with the munificence, guidance and encouragement of the ever supporting TTD management. It is hoped that NAAC assessment will provide new directions and new opportunities to the college paving the way for extending excellent service in imparting quality education.